Gillian Fedechko's paddling career spanned two decades, two countries and both paddling and coaching. While representing her home club, Ridge Canoe & Kayak Club, she won numerous national medals, represented Canada at the Pan American Championships and BC at the Canada Summer Games.
Gillian also medaled in the Russian Championships, giving her some unique paddling experiences. Now a physiotherapist, she has many highlights and memories from her paddling days.
Club: Ridge Canoe and Kayak Club
Years: 1999 – 2010 (competing athlete), 2007 – 2014 (coaching at Ridge or Team BC teams)
Why were you in BC?
I was in BC as this is where I grew up and it was always a great environment to paddle year long due to the mild winters. As I grew older and had to compete with other girls of my level, I did do some paddling in Alberta as well, but always came home to BC to compete for my home club (Ridge) for Nationals etc.
Paddling Career Highlights:
- 2004 - Juvenile C2 1000m, 500m and 200m gold medalist at National Championships (Dartmouth, NS)
- 2004 - 3 bronze medals for Russian Open Canoe Championships (C1 1000m, C2 1000m and 500m)
- 2005 - 3 silver medals Canada Summer Games Regina (C1 - 6km, 1000m and 500m)
- 2005 - 3 gold medals Pan American Championships: C2 1000m, 500m, 200m (Lac Beauport, QC)
- 2006 - 3 gold medals Pan American Championships: C2 1000m, 500m, 200m (Mexico City)
- various medals for Canadian Canoe Championships over the years .
Coaching Career highlights:
- Managing teams for Canada Summer Games in Charlottetown PEI(2009), and Western Canada Summer games in Kamloops (2011) and BC Games (Langley and Nanaimo)
- Working with athletes at Ridge Canoe and Kayak club grow and succeed both provincially and nationally over the years.
Favorite Paddling memories:
- Competing nationally and internationally with the amount of traveling that I had the opportunity to do, was probably what MADE most of my favorite paddling memories. Not only was making ever lasting friendships one of my favorite memories, but also getting to compete in so many different places against so many talented athletes was something I will cherish forever.
- Winning silver medals at 2005 Canada games, and at Nationals that year in Montreal was one of my favorite seasons, which I can say is one of my favorite memories.
- Also competing in Russia at their National Championships as well as their International Canoe Biathlon were we did archery from inside a modified racing canoe, was one of the coolest(as weirdest) memories that I have. Very unique.
What are you doing now?
- Currently working as a Kinesiologist at a busy Physiotherapy office, as well as managing a team of Personal Trainers and weight room supervisors under contract with the City of Maple Ridge.
- In my free time, I enjoy hiking, cooking, working out at the gym, and playing ultimate Frisbee with the Maple Ridge league.