Whitewater Slalom Canoe/Kayak Coach Job Description
The Chilliwack Centre of Excellence Paddling Club (CCE) is seeking a passionate and dedicated whitewater slalom Canoe/Kayak Coach to train our slalom athlete team and lead other club recreational kayak programs. We have a large, well-equipped boathouse, a flat-water slalom site and a natural river whitewater slalom training site. Our club is located in Chilliwack [https://tourismchilliwack.com/], British Columbia, 100 kilometers from Vancouver, Canada. Chilliwack is an excellent base for many outdoor activities, including mountain biking, hiking, skiing and paddling.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
The Coach is responsible for the organization, promotion, delivery and management of all club paddling programs (slalom and recreational), and will:
1. Plan, coordinate and deliver club instructional and coaching programs
2. Oversee hiring, training and mentoring of assistant instructors and coaches
3. Prepare slalom athletes for local, provincial and national level competitions
4. Maintain and manage a safe paddling environment and facilities
5. Maintain and manage all paddling equipment and club assets
6. Communicate in English with club members, parents, and the slalom community at large
7. Promote media relations to recruit new club members
8. Work with Canadian Provincial and National canoe/kayak organizations to maintain long-term athlete development goals, benchmarks and key performance indicators.
Employment Requirements The successful candidate must have:
1. Racing canoe/kayak slalom experience at a Provincial/ Regional/National or International levels
2. At least 2 years experience coaching slalom athletes under 18 years old
3. Experience teaching youth to safely paddle whitewater recreationally and knowledge of safe whitewater paddling practices
4. Current canoe/kayak instruction certification in your respective country
5. A willingness to complete all required Canadian safe-sport requirements (including a criminal record check).
Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
1. NCCP training (either in the slalom competition stream [ECLL] or River Kayak Instructor 2 / Leader 2 [I2L2])
2. Standard First Aid with CPR (wilderness first aid preferred)
3. Swiftwater Rescue
4. Canadian Driver’s License
This full time position commences February 1 st 2022, offering two days off per week, and four weeks paid vacation per annum, plus statutory holidays. An unpaid winter leave may be negotiated. The successful candidate must be willing to work a flexible work schedule that may include:
• Daytime and evening work
• Regular weekday and weekend activities, and special events
• Regular travel for club activities and canoe/kayak events
Compensation will be based on grants and revenue generated through the various programming activities, approximately $45,000-48,000/ year. Based on a satisfactory employee review, a bonus of up to $5,000 may be paid at the end of the summer, 2022. The term of employment will initially be 12 months, with an option to renew annually as per employee contract. For international applicants, CCE will pay legal fees related to obtaining a work permit(s), and will contribute to your relocation expenses.
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity for you, send your resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled. Only candidates short-listed will be notified. For additional CCE information, you can find us on Facebook [@ccekayak] and our website [ccekayak.com].
Canoe Kayak BC is the Provincial Sport Organization for the paddle sports and actively encourages and provides opportunities to enjoy, participate and excel in them. Members include competitive athletes, developing athletes, enthusiasts, coaches, officials, administrators and supporters of the sport. The association's mission enourages and promotes personal growth and success for our members through participation and performance in paddle sports.